Vlog 119: Good Vibrations

Over the summer I noticed that in heavy rain there was a slight trickly of water coming down the stove flue. It appeared to be getting in underneath the chimney collar so I had to take it off, clean everything up, de-rust and re-seal. This video shows how I did it and how it was a bigger job than expected.

Tool used: https://geni.us/CtC_DeWaltMultiTool

Got any questions?
Then please click here for my Frequently Asked Questions page!
Go shopping!
I have a merchandise store full of lovely mugs, t-shirts and suchlike!
If you'd like to buy me a cuppa every month for the videos, I'm on Patreon:
Or for a one-off gift, try this
http://www.PayPal.me/CruisingTheCut (please choose "Personal" rather than "Purchase" else PayPal charge a transaction fee!)
For the filming gear I use, click here
Keep in touch
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/CruisingTheCut
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/CruisingTheCut
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CruisingTheCut


  1. How can a video on sealing a leak hold my attention for 20 minutes ? Thanks David.

  2. What do you seal the bolts back in with?

  3. Just developed a leak around my flue ppe, your video is great as although the collar on my NB is fine I need to address the gap between the collar and the flue and this video is the only source I have found to help me.

  4. Another truly fun and informative DIY video David. I very much enjoy watching all of these and please keep them coming. Please take very good care from . Your Yank fan from Phoenix, Arizona USA ;)

  5. Brilliant VLOG – I viewed it 3 times already! Especially liked the way you used traditional materials to replace the cement in the flue join. And a special mention for the dextrous use of the thumb as well!

    I do, however, have a question (or perhaps a misunderstanding). After you had whacked the bolts through from below, how then did you re-attach them? Presumably the threads would have been damaged, no? Or did you get new ones?

    – Karl

    • I didn’t “whack them through” – I unscrewed them from above as originally planned but in the knowledge that they were merely very, very stiff rather than having any bolts on the underside. I had to just apply lots of force with the ratchet to unscrew them, which I had been reluctant to do when I believed they were secured from below.

  6. Your video brought back memories of similar maintenance jobs in my life and made me think of a product designed to prevent threads seizing up.
    Those two bolts that held down the roof penetration of the flue could’ve done with a bit of smearing of this product, and you may have done that off-camera, so sorry if that’s the case.
    I recall in my day swearing by a product, called “thread eze” and as I recall Blackwoods had something suitable & I guess most good hardware stores would too now-a-days.
    Must mean I enjoyed the video David to be so engrossed in the fidgety details.

  7. I had the same problem with fire cement. I attacked it with a jig saw and, like you was amazed to withdraw the blade to find all the teeth abraded off.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.